Mini Date Stuffed Pastries
– 1 pack of puff pastry dough defrosted according to package
– 13 oz pack of baking dates (preferably Ziyad brand)
– 1 tablespoon of olive oil
– 1 teaspoon of orange blossom water
– 1 teaspoon of ground anise
– 1 egg
– 2 tablespoons of water
– powdered sugar (optional)
– ground pistachio (optional)
1. Empty out contents of baking dates into a bowl.
2. Add in the olive oil, orange blossom water, and ground anise and mix well. Once everything is well combined, set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Unfold puff pastry dough on to a cutting board or clean surface. Cut each sheet into thirds along the folds.
5. Using your hands, roll a snake shaped strip of date filling long enough to fit inside the rectangle dough cut outs. See image below
6. Add the long date filling into the center of each rectangle dough.
7. Fold each side over the filling, overlapping the edges slightly. Press together gently to seal. It will resemble a log. Flip the log over so the seam is on the bottom.
8. Cut the log into bite sizes pieces. 1- 2 inches, size depends on your preference.
9. Freeze for about 10-15 min to harden dough.
10. In the meantime, make egg wash. Mix egg with 2 tablespoons of water.
11. Once cookies have hardened, take out of freezer and lightly score 2-3 diagonal lines into the top of the dough.
12. Place cookies onto a nonstick cookie sheet. Using a pastry brush, brush egg wash onto each cookie.
13. Bake for 10-15 min until golden brown
14. Let cookies fully cool down before garnishing.
15. Once cooled, Sift powdered sugar on top, and sprinkle with ground pistachios (both optional)
16. Enjoy with your favorite cup of coffee, you deserve it!